Big Sky Burning is seeking a variety of literary and non-literary texts including: short stories and poems, creative, critical and analytical essays, and opinion editorials. We are interested in writing that helps our community to imagine new landscapes of societal change, explorations of climate catastrophe, adaptation, survival and justice.
If you are interested in submitting, please explore our magazine and the About Us page. Authors may submit up to two submissions per submission period. Authors of poetry are permitted three submissions. Please include a 100-word biography along with your submission. You can find text-specific guidelines below.
- Literary and non-literary essays should not extend beyond 2000 words and writers may submit up to two submissions per submission period.
- Submissions of short fiction should not extend beyond 4000 words. Flash fiction submissions should not exceed 1000 words.
- Individual poems should be no more than 60 lines.
- Opinion editorials should range from 800 – 1000 words.
- We will accept appropriately credited submissions of photography or art to accompany your piece. If you do not submit a visual, it is possible that we will publish an appropriately credited piece of art with your written material.
You will receive notice of acceptance via email. If your submission is accepted, we will also request a current photo to publish with your submission and biography.
The author agrees to a publication period of a maximum of six months and retains the right to recall the work after a period of three months. Big Sky Burning permits the author to publish or republish their work for other uses of the work in all languages and in all media during the duration of publication.
Make a submission
Have questions about submitting? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.